I am a fan of using your favourite recipes and just swapping out the protein for wild game. Note, that you might have to add a little extra fat, depending on what type of game it is. Here is a good one, that also freezes well. Use leftover steak or roast to make the meat extra tender, or choose ground (make sure you cook it first)
PREP TIME20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 2 cups cooked beef/elk/deer/moose
- 6 cups reduced sodium beef broth or leftover gravy
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14-15 oz, undrained
- ½ green pepper diced
- ⅔ cup barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package beef gravy mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 40-50 minutes or until barley is cooked.
Remove bay leaf and serve.